A Study in Success:
Cosmetics Manufacturer Packaging
In the cosmetics market, which is highly driven by innovation, quality and consistency, it takes pioneering designs, premium finishes and fashion-forward graphics to truly make products stand out. A leading cosmetics company that was facing many challenges and wished to remain competitive turned to RRD to revitalize their packaging program while protecting their brand. As part of an enterprise-wide effort the company leveraged its 13-year relationship with RRD to gain insights on reducing packaging costs.
One of the cosmetic industry’s renowned companies was faced with a multitude of challenges and turned to RRD, a long term supplier, for assistance. As part of an enterprise-wide effort to revitalize the brand, the customer also wanted to significantly reduce label and packaging costs.
Leveraging RRD Supply Chain & Packaging Solutions’ global platform and extensive knowledge of the industry and the company’s product range allowed for the implementation of broad and unique solutions.
Aspects of the solution included:
- A series of deco label print trials establishing cost savings for hot stamping, varnishing and pearl labeling
- Replacing 2.3 mil films on 1.2 mil liners with thinner 1.6mil films on .92 mil liners
- Reducing languages and romance copy featured on 5- and 7-panel roll labels to fit all content onto single-ply labels printed on two sides instead
- Relocating carton production for the company’s Mexico operations to a local RRD facility
- Ensuring that all label and carton solutions met the company’s rigorous durability and product life expectancy standards
Across the board RRD Supply Chain & Packaging Solutions delivered substantial savings including:
- 30% annual savings by switching to thinner films and liners
- Costs trimmed by $860,000 annually from eliminating over 110 million sets of 5- and 7- panel roll labels in favor of the single-ply, two-sided printed label
These and many other examples demonstrate the importance of thinking outside the box - literally and figuratively - to help customers achieve their objectives.
Benefits of Working with RRD
RRD’s core competencies, strategic direction and vertically integrated services can help to create a unique competitive advantage with the following benefits:
- Reduced time-to-market for products with a single interface and global reach
- Reduced total supply chain cost from design through to final product delivery
- Aid in revenue generation with attractive product packaging
- Streamline global processes with enhanced planning and forecasting
Supply Chain & Packaging Solutions
RRD Supply Chain & Packaging Solutions is a recognized global supply chain and packaging provider that delivers value-add solutions to multiple sectors. As part of RRD (NYSE:RRD), a broad suite of capabilities is offered including packaging design and production, sourcing, kitting and fulfillment services. Solution design, systems, processes and precise project execution can help customers to constantly improve their market share, profits and speed-to-market.