expanded color gamut (ecg) separation technology
Industry leading, our customized Expanded Color Gamut separation approach is color driven by the brand owner and engineered for performance in the pressroom. ECG enhances the CMYK ink set with additional colors creating a fixed ink set for the reproduction of all spot colors and expanding the color gamut of image reproduction for more vibrant and accurate color.
Our ECG separations provide packaging print with:
- Improved ability to print screens and detail in spot color elements, especially in flexo
- Smoother, more natural integration of drop shadows into background colors
- Faster make-readies through elimination of the need for ink change and wash up
- Process sustainability through less ink consumption and less solvent and ink waste
- Single standard ink set to enable a dependable production environment
- Better matching PMS colors than with standard CMYK process
- Eliminated color trap lines as foreground and background graphics run in common plates
- Smoother vignettes and spot color gradients than printing with spot colors
And when you don't have access to an ECG ink set but want to make the most of process colors, our XCMYK separations can take an existing 4-color ink set to the maximum reach of color gamut. Doing so brings more process match builds into gamut and edges 4-color image reproduction closer to the original RGB intent.